Working abroad

Working abroad can offer great opportunities but it has a number of practical consequences as well.

What you should bear in mind

The legislation in the field of liability is different from in the Netherlands. You may need a work permit. It involves extra administration and you may well need additional funding.

If you are taking articles with you abroad such as décor items, musical instruments or film material, find out in advance whether you need an international customs document (carnet) for them.

Information and advice

On its website, DutchCulture | Transartists provides a wealth of information about overseas programmes for artists in all disciplines. DutchCulture further provides information about the import and export of specific and protected cultural items, and about the CCP, which offers specialist information regarding European funding programmes. 

On the Move encourages cooperation and mobility in the cultural sector at a cross-border level, promoting cultural diversity. They offer funding to students and professionals in arts. 

Working abroad has a number of practical and production consequences. The law in terms of liability is organised differently than in the Netherlands. You may need a work permit. This will entail extra accounting and you may need additional financing. 

If you are taking items with you on a trip, such as scenery, equipment or film material, find out whether you need a ‘carnet’ in good time. A carnet is an international customs document that you can apply for at the Chamber of Commerce. 

Netherlands has entered into co-production treaties with a number of countries. In this way, governments want to promote cooperation between two countries in terms of film co-production and to stimulate the development of the film industry in both countries. If the criteria are satisfied, the film can then be recognised in two countries as a national production and be eligible for the available government aid in the countries concerned.

Eurimages is the co-production and distribution fund of the Council of Europe. The Netherlands Film Fund serves on the board on behalf of the Netherlands. Foreign producers who want to (co-)produce in the Netherlands can find information at

If you want to look for a job abroad, prepare properly for all kinds of practical matters regarding residence and work permits, payment and (national) insurance. Ask colleagues and fellow students about their experiences with legislation and hourly rates or salaries. Your own network is very important when looking for a job abroad. There are various sites where you can find job vacancies.