Faq hoe kan ik in Nederland blijven en werken?

How can you stay and work legally in the Netherlands after your study if you are not Dutch? Non-EU nationals have to meet more legal conditions than EU-nationals. These are briefly listed below.

Deze tekst is alleen beschikbaar in het Engels.

Free access to the Dutch labor market

If you come from one of the following countries, you can work in the Netherlands without a visa, residence permit or work permit:

  • European Union (EU)
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Iceland
  • Switzerland

Note; a residence permit can be useful for other purposes than legal staying. For example: to be a member of a housing-corporation or to vote.

Non-EU nationals

There are various possible residence permits to stay in the Netherlands after your study. You can find more details about each permit on the website of the IND (Immigration & Naturalisation Service).

You can apply for a residence permit to work as an employee, as a self-employed person or as a highly skilled immigrant. There are also residence permits for an orientation year for graduates and for highly educated persons. There are residence permits outside the realm of work such as a residence permit to gain work experience, for example for an internship.

Note; often you will need a certain minimum of income to apply for a residence permit.

Health insurance

As a student without work, you are not obliged to have a Dutch Health Insurance. You can have your own health insurance. However, as soon as you work or as soon as you are not registered as a student any more, you should have a Dutch Zorgverzekering. This is a legal obligation. You will get a fine (or two) and eventually you will be forced to take out a very expensive health insurance (120% compared to the normal rate) if you don’t take any action.

Direct naar: