Faq start working

How do you start working, during or after your studies? You have already built up a network and acquired experience during your study. What are your plans for the short term and the long term? Where do your opportunities lie? What are you good at? It all begins with a clear, concise and interesting story about yourself and your work. Whether you are applying for a job, trying to secure an assignment, or launching a project of your own, make sure that you can say who you are and what makes you tick. Start in your own network, because that is where the most opportunities lie.

What kind of work are you looking for, and why?

Many of those who start up have a part-time job as well as their own practice in order to make ends meet. Even if most of your income comes from paid employment, it is still important to ask yourself 'What does this job provide apart from money?', 'What does this job mean for my network?', and 'Do I meet potential clients through my work?'. An advantage of paid employment is that it usually entitles you to benefits.

Once you have graduated it is not technically possible to engage in hands-on training because there is no educational institute involved to supervise you. Still, you can gain work experience by doing voluntary work. If a job gives you good contacts or an opportunity to develop your artistic abilities, it does not matter so much if you are paid very little. Make sure that it does not go on for too long: it is not good for you, and spoils the market by providing cheap labour.

Working on assignments as a freelance

'Freelance' is not an official term. It is applied to various situations: you work on employment contracts for a limited period, you are payrolled, or combine it with working as a self-employed enterprise without personnel. In the first two cases, you are an employee for legal and tax purposes. As an employee you do not need to choose among the various types of enterprise , and tax is already deducted at source.

What do you need to arrange if you start to work for yourself?

If you start to work for yourself, either as a self-employed enterprise without personnel or with others, you are not entitled to benefits, you have to pay tax, and you are obliged to keep an administration . In addition, you have to choose a type of enterprise and take out various types of insurance yourself.

Registration with the Chamber of Commerce (KvK) is compulsory if you satisfy the following criteria:

  • you participate regularly in economic transactions
  • you are paid for providing goods or services
  • you have more than one client
  • you work on your own initiative.

After you have registered with the Chamber of Commerce, the Tax Office makes sure that you are also given a VAT registration number. These organisations work together, so there is no need for you to report directly to the Tax Office as well.

Odd jobs

If you occasionally send an invoice for a job and the rest of your income is derived from paid employment or payrolling , you do not need to register. You can also make use of the opting-in scheme for odd jobs. In that case you can receive payment as if you were an entrepreneur, but without all the administrative obligations. The Tax Office regards extra income as 'the result of other work'. As long as you declare it, you are not doing anything illegal.