FAQ start working in the extracurricular art education

How can you start working in extracurricular art education? This kind of art education is separate from the national curriculum of primary and secondary education, although inter- and extra-curricular art educations increasingly overlap each other. As a qualified teacher you have various options.

Museums and theatre- and dance companies

Many museums concentrate on educational programs which run parallel to the present exhibition or the standard collection. They often have a separate educational department. Theatres and dance companies frequently provide an educational program around their productions. As a certified educator in an art form, you can organize educational guided tours or look after workshops in the classroom or for individuals. They are often done on a freelance basis.

Centers for the arts

There are around 150 centers for the arts in the Netherlands: Music schools, creativity centers and institutions, where all art disciplines are available. These institutions frequently attract a broad attendance. You can get started with these institutions as a teacher or consultant in your field of expertise. Centers for the arts offer courses and lessons, but increasingly develop programs and activities for education as well.

Offer your own project

When you have a great idea for an art educational project, but you don’t have an employer, present your project to various schools and art centers.

Concurrent projects

There is a lot of demand for projects that run in conjunction with a variety of art disciplines. You may want to look for a partner who is specialized in another field. You can also suggest your plan to a museum, music centre or theatre company. These are often open to new ideas, but do take into consideration that they probably already have an extensive program.

Look for an innovating proposal

There is a lot on offer in the area of art projects. When you set up a project, search for the existence of similar projects. You may find there is already a project that offers the same as yours. You increase your chances of getting a sponsor when you offer a project that is innovative and outside the beaten track.

Applying for funding

When your project meets certain criteria, you can apply for funding. You can obtain this from local-or state government or grant providers in the area of cultural education. You will need to have a sponsor at a school or art institution. You also need to have a written plan of action and support your argument as to why your project complements what is currently on offer. The grant givers often have spearheads like offers to primary education and projects reaching children who rarely come into contact with art.