Faq coronacrisis: tips

The measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus have enormous consequences for everyone in the arts and cultural sector. Organisations and self-employed people can make use of (financial) support for entrepreneurs offered by the government. Specific measures have also been taken to support the cultural sector. Explore what you can do in order to get through this period as well as possible and so that you will be properly prepared to move forward in the near future.

Student finance and study completion delay

DUO corona measures
The Education Executive Agency (DUO) wants to help students and former students who encounter (financial) problems as a result of the coronavirus, for example because you don’t have work anymore. Students entitled to studyfinancing from DUO, can borrow extra money, for example to be able to pay  tuition fees. Those paying back money can request a repayment-free period. If you experience a study delay and you graduate in the period September 2020 to January 2021, you can receive a one-off compensation amount in 2021.

Study programmes are doing everything they can to limit study completion delay, and thus additional costs, as much as possible. Check with your own study programme what you can do about this yourself. AHK-students can contact their student counsellor. In addition, the AHK support fund has been launched to financially support AHK-students.

Directly to:

Financing your study

Support for self-employed people

A number of measures are being developed to support entrepreneurs with allowances, loans and tax measures. The most relevant measures are:

Assistance for self-employed people (TOZO)
Self-employed people can apply for financial assistance and a loan via the Tijdelijke Overbruggingsregeling voor Zelfstandig Ondernemers (Temporary Transitional Arrangement for Self-employed Persons, TOZO). The most important condition is that you meet the hour criterion, whereby at least 1,225 hours a year are worked within your own company. This is an easing of the Social Assistance (Self-Employed Persons) Decree (Besluit bijstand zelfstandigen, Bbz). The allowance amounts to €1,500 per month. You can do the TOZO-check (in Dutch) to see if you qualify and submit an application with the municipality where you are registered. For the first three months (March to May) the partner's income does not count, but for the extension (June to August) it does. International students are not likely to qualify, submitting an application for TOZO might cause problems with the IND/visa. Therefor, international students: always check your personal situation before at the City hall or Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel).

Compensation for entrepreneurs in affected sector (TOGS) Closed
This arrangement was aimed at entrepreneurs (SMEs, small and medium-sized enterprises) who work from a property they own or rent, are seeing their turnover disappear and, for example, have to continue paying the rent for their business premises. The allowance amounts to €4,000 and could be spent freely. You qualified if your company complies with the conditions and your main activity was registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KVK) under a required SBI code (in Dutch).

Fixed Costs Allowance (TVL)
The allowance is for SME entrepreneurs and self-employed people who lose a lot of turnover due to the corona crisis and therefore experience problems with paying their fixed costs. Entrepreneurs who were eligible for the TOGS scheme can also use the TVL. The affected sectors are on the list of established SBI codes. SBI stands for Standard Business Classification and the code indicates what the main activity of a company is. You can find a list of established codes on the website of the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO). You can look up your code in the search tool by entering your Chamber of Commerce number. This includes companies in catering, recreation, events, stand builders, fairgrounds, stages and theaters. How much you receive depends on the revenue loss and your industry. You will receive a minimum of € 1,000 and a maximum of € 50,000.

Tax measures
You can apply for, among other things, a ‘special deferment of payment’ (bijzonder uitstel van betaling). This is possible for all assessments, therefore also for the turnover tax (VAT), income tax, corporation tax and wage tax and national insurance contributions. You submit an application for this payment extension in writing and send this by post to the Tax and Customs Administration. It is also possible to submit the application digitally. You can receive a three-month deferment of payment with this.

Directly to:



Commissioned work

Support for employers and employees

Temporary Emergency Bridging Measure for Sustained Employment (NOW)
Employers who expect at least 20% loss of turnover can apply for a contribution towards wage costs for a period of three months from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). This may also be used to continue paying the wage of employees with an on-call or zero-hours contract.

Flex workers and on-call workers who earned 400 euros or more in February and who were not able to claim any other benefit can report to the UWV till the 12th of July for a monthly amount of 550 euros. This applies for March, April and May.

Responsible management, coordination

Management during the coronacrisis
Cultuur+Ondernemen (Culture+Entrepreneurship) has made a good checklist about assessing lost income and acute problems, making a risk analysis, communication to employees, financial backers and partners, as well as other focus points at a time of crisis.

Helpdesk international cooperation
Information about the consequences for international cultural cooperation from DutchCulture.


Do you receive a subsidy? It may be the case that you are no longer able to fulfil the agreements as a result of coronavirus measures. Most funds describe on their website how they want to deal with this situation. Check what you have to do there.

Are you planning to apply for subsidy? Check out the possibilities and start writing. Look at other options to finance your plans as well. There are several subsidies available for projects related to the corona crisis. For example at the Amsterdam Fund for the Arts.

Specific measures cultural sector
In a letter to parliament, the minister announced specific measures for the institutions and makers subsidized by the government. She calls on institutions to keep agreements made with self-employed professionals. National cultural funds can take specific measures to support the sector. € 300 million euro has been made available.

An additional amount of more than € 15 million euro has been made available for existing and new fund schemes off the six national cultural funds:

Directly to:



Organise your affairs

Use the time that has been freed up, without asking for it, as usefully as possible. Think about the development of your professional practice. What do you want to work towards? Get things organised: use this time, for example, to update your artist statement, CV, portfolio or website. Organise your administration: insight into your finances is important, especially now. If you are working on a project: make a (flexible) planning. Prepare as much possible in order to be able to get to work quickly again as soon as everything is allowed to be reopen.

Get inspired and stay informed

Art in quarantine is taking on many new forms. Visit the website of your professional association: an increasing number of tips and best practices are being shared there on how you can continue working regardless in a new way. Read newsletters, background articles or listen to a podcast. Get inspired!

Developments in the sector and measures from the government are coming in quick succession. Keep an eye on the news via the official channels, such as websites of the central government and Kunsten ’92, the interest group for arts, culture and heritage.