Decree on Social Assistance to the Self-Employed (Bbz)

The Decree on Social Assistance to the Self-Employed (Besluit bijstandverlening zelfstandigen, Bbz) regulates the financial assistance that municipalities can provide to self-employed persons. The form of the financial support differs depending on the situation.


For whom

Whether or not a self-employed person receives financial assistance depends on their situation:

People receiving social assistance who are seeking to obtain information about entrepreneurship can agree a ‘preparation period’ with the municipality. In that case, they will continue to receive benefits and they will not have an obligation to seek work. Depending on the rules and regulations of the municipality, they will receive training on or guidance with setting up their company.

Start-up entrepreneurs
People receiving social assistance who start their own company or independent profession must write a business plan first. The municipality will assess this business plan. Does it concern a viable business and does the start-up entrepreneur meet all conditions? In that case, the municipality will decide on the amount and duration of the benefit (maximum 36 months) and/or a business credit.

Established entrepreneurs
Is an established entrepreneur having temporary financial problems? In that case, this entrepreneur may be eligible for a periodic benefit and/or business credit under the Bbz. The business must, however, be viable.

Older self-employed persons
Older self-employed persons who were born before 1 January 1960 may be eligible for a periodic benefit and/or business credit, even if their business is no longer viable.

Self-employed persons ending their business
People who have to shut down their business can invoke the Bbz for financial support. With this additional periodic benefit, they can supplement their income to social assistance benefit level during the winding-down phase of their business.

The municipality decides on the right to support and the amount of any benefit.

Directly to:

Participation Act


You apply for a social assistance benefit under the Bbz via the Benefits Office of your municipality. Please note: personal assets and the income and assets of your partner may preclude a social assistance benefit. Contact your municipality to see what they can do for you.