Extra-mural art education

There are many persons and institutions active in extra-mural art education: youth centres, community centres and clubhouses, the open university, teachers who give private lessons, amateur art societies and artists’ organisations with educational activities. There are also organisations that offer holiday courses and extracurricular childcare.

Arts centres

There are some 150 recognised arts centres in the Netherlands subsidised by the local authority: music schools, creative centres and combined institutions that specialise in art education and target a broad public. These centres can be broken down into three types of organisation:

  • Art education institutions that work for primary and secondary schools.
  • Creative centres and music schools that offer art lessons outside regular school education (extra-mural education).
  • Institutions that combine both functions, such as the Koorenhuis in The Hague, SKVR in Rotterdam and UCK in Utrecht.

Such an institution offers high-quality, specialized courses in a variety of disciplines given by qualified teachers. Moreover, the institution can offer a basic programme as an introduction to the various artistic disciplines that is accessible for a broad public. There are carefully planned syllabuses and a large range of short courses and workshops.

In an arts centre you can work as a teacher (leisure and educational programmes) or as a consultant (education). A consultant is a key person who works in an institution, maintains contacts and initiates forms of cooperation with various schools and other institutions.

A teacher is expected to have a proper grasp of the subject and to be good at teaching. Permanent contracts are becoming less and less common. As a self-employed person, for example, you may be given an assignment to teach a course or to run a project. This construction may last for years and expand, for example in the form of a basic course and then a follow-up course, or a school project that can be repeated.

Most teachers and consultants have been trained as teachers or have studied an artistic subject and engaged in extra training or the development of their skills.

Institutions for amateur art

Organised amateur art is everywhere: brass bands, choirs, drama clubs, painting and writing clubs, dance groups, and so on. The contents of the work that you do as an art educator with and for groups like these depends on their needs. Many clubs have a small organisation. As a teacher or coach, you must therefore be good at organising, working with groups, finance (applying for grants), publicity, working to cater for a demand, finding work locations and venues for performances and exhibitions. A large part of your work consists of providing support and improving quality.

Educational departments museums and venues

An increasing number of museums, theatres and concert halls have an education department. This is stimulated, for instance, by forms of cooperation between schools and art institutions. The subject Cultural and Artistic Education (CKV) in secondary schools has also provided a major impulse in this respect. Educational guided tours, workshops and teaching programmes are developed. For example, before attending a performance children can follow a workshop and receive an introduction to what they are going to see. There are also projects in which various museums enter into forms of cooperation with one another.

As a trained teacher in an artistic subject you can give educational guided tours or provide workshops for school classes or individual visitors. You may often be hired as a contractor.

Own teaching practice

As a art educator you can also work independently. For example by setting up your own teaching practice or by developing projects for schools, extra-mural care or other organisations.

Schools sometimes invite artists. As a producer you can offer a project or performance yourself that programmers will purchase for education. The course Beroepskunstenaars in de Klas (professional artists in the classroom) is for artists who want to learn to teach expressive subjects on a project basis but who have no wish to obtain official teacher competence.

There are many providers of extramural care (BSO). More and more often BSOs hire artists and art teachers for courses as well as structural care.